Compare MBA vs Masters vs Short Business Course
Should you enrol in an MBA, master’s degree or a short business course? It ultimately depends on where you want to take your career.
Each type of qualification comes with unique benefits but deciding which option is right for you takes careful consideration.
To find the qualification that best aligns with your ambitions and lifestyle, we can help you decide which qualification comes out on top when it deciding between an MBA, other master’s degree or short business course.
MBA program explained
As one of the most renowned degrees in the world, the MBA is popular among aspiring business leaders. Many professionals opt to do an MBA for its international standing and prestigious reputation, to give them a competitive edge in the corporate world.
Benefits of an MBA
- Increased wages – Studies reported in the Financial Review article demonstrate that executives who graduated from Australian MBA schools over the past three years saw their salaries increase 28% to an average of $157,000 upon graduation.
- Career advancement – An MBA can help you climb the corporate ladder by increasing your chances of being considered for advancement opportunities. The 2021 Student Exit Survey found that 49% of students surveyed received new responsibilities at work while studying, while 36% of students reported being promoted.
- Flexibility – Now that MBAs are available online and via part-time delivery, it’s become much easier to balance your studies with your career and other commitments.
If you’ve decided an MBA will help you achieve your career aspirations, the University of Adelaide offers flexible programs for busy professionals. Our 100% online MBA will help you build on your existing expertise and give you the skills needed to take on leadership roles. Download a course brochure or enquire about our online MBA.
Master’s degree information
Master’s degrees cater to students looking for a higher level qualification to advance their job prospects. While MBAs are ideal for professionals with extensive experience in their field, master’s programs are suitable for students still in the earlier stages of their career.
Benefits of a master's degree
- Employability - Completing a master's degree can make you more likely to lang jobs upon graduating, this Australian qualification level demonstrates a deeper knowledge in your field.
- Opportunities to specialise – If your undergraduate degree covered a broad area of learning, doing your master’s is a great way to focus on a more specialised subject.
If you'd like to find out more about Masters degrees that appeal to your area of interest, use our degree finder to find out more.
Short business course details
Don’t have time to finish a university degree? Doing a short business course can help you develop strong foundational skills and knowledge through a short but intensive learning period.
Benefits of a short business course
- Affordable – Short business courses tend to be less expensive than degrees, making them ideal for candidates looking to minimise their student debt.
- Fast learning schedule – Taking far less time to complete than an MBA or master’s program, short business courses usually only run for a few months.
If you'd like to find out more about our short courses, visit the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration program page to find out more.
The University of Adelaide has your next business program
Whichever program or pathway you decide, the University of Adelaide's business school offers flexibility and prestige. Choose to study business with a Group of Eight institution and enhance your business career. Whether looking at a traditional MBA or exploring a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration, the online business programs has the right fit to boost your skills.
If you're ready to elevate your business knowledge, make an appointment to speak with an advisor today.
Get an MBA now or later? 6 questions to ask yourself
Is there something holding you back from getting your online MBA? Perhaps time, work, cost or fear? Ask yourself these 6 questions to see if now is the time to take the plunge.
Progress Your Career with an Online MBA
Why wait until you’ve finished your MBA to kickstart your career? Learn how to progress your career while studying an MBA with The University of Adelaide.