Alternative entry into the Master of Data Science (Applied)
It’s possible to commence the first four courses of the Master of Data Science (Applied) by enrolling into the Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied). You do not need to meet the Mathematical Methods entry requirements to enrol in the graduate certificate.
- Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied)
- Graduate Diploma in Data Science (Applied)
- Master of Data Science (Applied)
By the end of your first four courses, you must have successfully completed MathTrackX to continue onto the following courses of the masters program. You will be reimbursed for the cost of MathTrackX when you commence the masters level courses (see step three for more details). You also have the option to exit the program with a graduate certificate or graduate diploma award.
How to Apply
1. Apply for the Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied)
First, confirm the application close date by checking the Important Dates page to avoid missing out.
Then to apply, you first need to create an account via the University of Adelaide Application Portal. Once you have verified your account, complete your online application form and as a minimum upload the following supporting documents:
- valid photo ID (passport or driver's licence)
- proof of citizenship / permanent residency
- transcripts from your completed Bachelor degree or equivalent in any discipline with a minimum GPA of 4.5 (7.0 GPA scale).
- change of name documents if applicable (e.g marriage certificate)
- English language requirements (if you are an international applicant).
For assistance with your application, contact us on 1300 293 830.
2. Enrol in MathTrackX
It’s important to have a solid grasp of core mathematical concepts before undertaking a data science program as almost all of the techniques are underpinned by maths. If you have not successfully completed Mathematical Methods during Senior Secondary School, you can still gain entry into the Master of Data Science (Applied) and Graduate Diploma in Data Science (Applied) by enrolling in MathTrackX. View equivalent senior secondary mathematics subjects in Australia here.
MathTrackX is equivalent to Mathematical Methods and is an accepted prerequisite for admission into the Graduate Diploma and Master of Data Science (Applied).
It covers mathematical fundamentals and its real-world applications that form the bedrock of many data science techniques. Complete the six courses at your own pace, which include:
- Polynomials, functions, and graphs
- Special functions
- Differential calculus
- Integral calculus
MathTrackX is self-paced. On average each course will take about 4 weeks, based upon 3-6 hours of study per week. However, this is just a recommendation and can be completed much quicker as it is competency-based which means you are free to complete the assessment as soon as you feel ready.
Please refer to the MathTrackX program page for the latest information and AUD conversion. You may be eligible for a reimbursement for the cost of MathTrackX when you upgrade into the Masters (see step three for more details).
How do I enrol?
You can start MathTrackX at any time. Head over to the MathTrackX web page to learn more.
See how to enrol into the Master of Data Science (Applied) here once you've completed MathTrackX.
3. Claim your reimbursement for MathTrackX
To be eligible for the MathTrackX reimbursement, you need to:
- Complete all 6 MathTrackX courses and successfully earn a Verified Certificate
- Complete and pass the first 5 courses in the Data Science suite. The 5th course must be completed within three teaching periods from when you finished the Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied) level courses.
Our team of advisors will assist you with your request and refer you to provide your bank details via an appropriate form for the refund. Please call on 1300 296 648, Monday – Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm (ACST), Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm (ACST).