in Data Science (Applied) online
8 months part-time
- Gain internationally recognised, workforce-ready skills in stats, programming, ethics and other real-world applications of data science in just eight months with the online Graduate Certificate in Data Science. Apply now.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with 100% online learning: no in-person exams and the freedom to complete your coursework around your schedule.
- Check out our data science certificate entry requirements and curriculum to start your journey towards becoming a versatile and highly employable data scientist.
Master real-world languages and tools
Known as a Swiss Army knife of the coding world, Python is the most popular and easy to use programming language that demands the highest salaries.
R & RStudio
Our data certification will teach you to master the most powerful tools in R that will allow you to turn raw data into insights. Learn how to wrangle, analyse and visualise data using R in the course ‘Data taming, modelling, and visualisation’.
NumPy is an important linear algebra library in Python that data science and machine learning packages depend on. During your online-date science program, you will become familiar with how to build multidimensional arrays and high-level mathematical functions throughout this program.
Pandas is another Python software library used for data manipulation and analysis. Our postgraduate data science coursework covers how to explore, clean, transform, visualise and learning from data using Pandas.
Matplotib is used to create high-quality graphs, charts, and figures – an essential component of data science. Learn how to use Matplotlib in ‘Foundations of computer sciences – Python A’.
Flexible online learning
Studying data science online gives you the freedom to study on your terms.
Six week teaching periods: Upskill faster by completing one subject every six weeks.
What will my assignments be? All assessments and coursework are 100% online. Types of assessments include analyses, case studies, plans, discussion board discussions, practical projects and quizzes. Download the online Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied) brochure for more information.
What skills will I gain?
At the completion of the online Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied), you will be able to:
- use technologies and best practices of data science to inform organisational change
- use the principles of big data and data science analysis to solve real-world problems
- use best-practice techniques to provide context-aware data analysis, machine learning and optimisation
- understand the implications and issues involved in the social and ethical aspects of data science
- effectively articulate the significance of data using data analysis, presentation and visualisation techniques.
Apply now and take advantage of the skyrocketing data science job market.
"Data is the new oil, and now is the time to learn how to mine it." - Dr. Lewis Mitchell, Online Program Coordinator
Your stats, programming, ethics and practical know-how will set you up for a long and rewarding career in data. Demand for data scientists has grown over 650% since 2012 (LinkedIn), along with many other exciting career paths open to you such as: business analysis, product management, digital marketing, database management or business intelligence.
The tech giants like IBM, Amazon and Microsoft hire the most data scientists in the world. With access to massive volumes of data, they are well-placed to innovate AI, automation and machine learning to maintain their competitive advantage.
Data science jobs in the government sector are growing, as leaders continue to acknowledge the economic, environmental and social benefits that data can offer. Fraud detection, tax compliance, weather prediction, smart cities and intelligence all require specialist skills in data science.
Insights from big data can lead to major financial benefits, revealing both untapped opportunities and hidden risks. Consultants and financial institutes hire data scientists to help serve clients, automate tasks and enhance cost efficiencies.
Data taming, modelling, and visualisation - DATA 7201OL
This data science course is a practical introduction to finding relationships in data using statistical methods and the principles of taming and tidying data. Throughout the six weeks, you will become familiar with:
- exploratory data analysis using R and RStudio
- relationships between variables
- data types
- transforming data
- principal component analysis
- fitting linear models
- prediction with linear models
- multiple linear regression
- categorical and quantitative predictors
- dealing with messy data
- real-world prediction using linear models.
One of the course’s core aims is to introduce R programming for data science applications through real-world case studies.
Foundations of computer sciences – Python A - COMP SCI 7210OL
This computer science course will develop your coding and problem-solving skills with a focus on data science principles. You will learn algorithm design and programming concepts such as:
- data selection
- iteration and functional decomposition
- data abstraction and organisation.
You will complete this data science course with the confidence to apply fundamental software development skills including Python programming language, debugging, testing, and other fundamentals of programming practice.
Applied data science - DATA 7202OL
An introduction to the role and application of data science in modern organisations and societies, this course includes processes for data collection, analysis, verification and validation. Case studies will be used to demonstrate current best practice and common pitfalls.
Human and ethical factors in computer science - COMP SCI 7212OL
The way data scientists build models can have major real-life implications. Failing to proactively address ethical concerns can result in competitive, financial, and even legal risks to individuals, companies and institutions. Ethics is a growing concern in computing with questions arising from the collection and use of data, how algorithms interact with people and the expanding use of AI. In this course, you will learn the tools you need to reason about ethical questions and apply ethics in your work.
Learn how to reason through ethical dilemmas, where your responsibilities lie as a computer professional, and how to apply lessons from famous case studies to your workplace.
To be eligible for the Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied), you will need to meet the following requirement:
A completed Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in any discipline with a minimum GPA of 4.5 (7.0 GPA scale).
What is the total cost?
The total cost of the online Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied) is $14,200 or $3,550 per course.
Is there FEE-HELP available?
Yes, Australian citizens are eligible for a HELP loan. You must also be enrolled in a postgraduate program with the University of Adelaide by the enrolment deadline (census), and have not reached the HELP loan limit. Once you have been offered a place in a University of Adelaide online program, you will be able to apply for a HELP loan as a part of the enrolment process. Please see our FAQs section for further details.
The four courses of the Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied) are the same first courses of our Master of Data Science (Applied) program. Once you’ve successfully completed the graduate certificate, you can continue onto the graduate diploma and then masters program*, or exit with a graduate certificate award. It’s up to you.
- Graduate Certificate in Data Science (Applied)
- Graduate Diploma in Data Science (Applied)
- Master of Data Science (Applied)
* Please note there are additional maths entry requirements for both the graduate diploma and masters programs.
Download a brochure
Request a brochure to learn more about:
- the University of Adelaide
- instructor profiles
- pathway options
- online learning experience
- course content and learning outcomes
- assessments and more.